Blog Archive

Thursday, May 5, 2011

Aston in 2011

I can't believe I have not done an update on Aston in over 6 months but it was this photo that inspired me to get on it immediately! He really has turned a corner and he deserves the good press:)

{photo Taken by Laura from Woopsie Daisy: Aston and his Mrs. Gabriel}

20110428-IMG_0645.jpg

I really feel like Mrs. Gabriel and Aston have a special little bond going on and I think it all started back in September when we were off to a rocky start. See this post:( Makes me sad to read it again but at the same time I look back and say "man we came so far!" and it really is to the credit of his amazing teachers this year, Mrs. Haenlein and Mrs. Gabriel. I have received completely refreshing emails, comments and notes home from his teachers since the start of 2011...like these 2:

20110429-DSC_0705.jpg

and it's really electrifying as a Mom to know that words like "angel" and "compassionate" are describing my A man now...of course I wouldn't always describe him that way but still to know he c.a.n be those words is enough for me.

Aston digs writing his letters lately and weeks ago asked me how to spell Daddy. I was half interested and blurted out the letters from the other room. A few mins later he came back with this...i was stunned!

20110407-DSC_0060.jpg

He also likes to add letters to his name and ask me what it says:) "Astyon" is a fave of his for some reason. Notice Aston and Daddy playing golf on the side. He perfected his name recently but he had the hardest time with "N"'s for a while so he would leave it off...Jeff and I called him "Asto" until he finally got it...he thought it was sooooo funny:)

20110407-DSC_0068.jpg 20110407-DSC_0069.jpg

It was many weeks ago that Donuts with Dad's happened too but I needed to document what he wrote about his Dad. My favorite is that he's 43:) and really good at soccer? huh?! he must have overheard Mia's answer:) (Mr. Mehmet is a soccer star!)

20110407-DSC_0073.jpg

Mr Bruce took this great photo of the boys at Donuts with Dads. Anne supplied him with the camera...smart...smart...brilliant

5527895722_975fbca234_b.jpg

In other Aston news...he is now a camouflage belt in Taekwondo and was asked to be in the leadership program at the ATA school. Apparently only 10% of students are asked to be in the program...but more than likely it's just to get us to spend more money...hey it worked! This is all like 2 month old news now but it's important news! He is really liking the prestige of it all:) and by that I mean he likes the fact that he gets to wear all this cool gear now like hand pads, footpads, helmut...etc...:)taekwondo-collage-may-2011.jpg

In leadership class a student is chosen to lead the warm-ups. I am so proud of my three year old for standing in front of a class of 20 (sometimes...here just like 10) and with authority (for the most part) directs the group in a series of exercises. Don't know of any other 3 year olds in the class...makes me all the more proud!

20110413-DSC_0597.jpg 20110413-DSC_0674.jpg 20110413-DSC_0677.jpg

Camouflage Belt Graduation:

20110422-DSC_0131.jpg20110422-DSC_0119.jpg 20110422-DSC_0135.jpg

A few other Aston funnies/notables that I've been recording via old school pen and paper for the last 6+ months:)

  • "Mom when I turn 6 I can hold you ok? because your arm will probly still hurt but then you will have to hold me because my teeth with fall out"--background: I have a chronic shoulder injury and he's always worried about me and he was at this time obsessed with being 6 so he can loose his teeth:)
  • Things he's been way into: superheros, legos, his balance bike, golf, drawing, letters, the pool and nature walks with mei and me
  • Since Taekwondo Aston now says "yes ma'am, yes sir, no ma'am...etc" to Jeff and I. This all started out as a funny thing to him but now he takes it pretty seriously. I am not used to this formality but I have grown to respect what it teaches him. They very much stress this manor of addressing each other in class and not only their elders. I kinda dig it.
  • Aston can sing many Gorillaz songs on the Demon Days album (namely DARE and Fire Coming out of a Money's Head) and Plastic Beach album (namely Rhinestone Eyes and Superfast Jellyfish) and insists they are his favorite band...runs in the fam I suppose!
  • "What e.v.e.r. you say Mom" is said at least once a day and always after I tell him to wear something or do something...Jeff gets a big kick out of this one...I don't so much
  • One of the best times we have together is at night after all the teeth are brushed, stories read and PJ's are on. We just lay in his bed a chat about the day, what we are going to do tomorrow, make up stories together, find hidden letters in his room (like the books on his shelf form the letter "N" he pointed out), and usually what all he will get to do when he's 4, 5 and 6:)
  • Today I asked him if he knows what a bank is...he said "it's a hotel for all the money!"
  • Aston mastered putting his own shirts on only about 4 months ago and around the same time mastered zippers! I thought he would never get that one!
  • Golf needs its own post to describe his relationship with the game...but just know that he spends a lot of hours with clubs in his hands or fairway at his feet:

20110412-DSC_0586.jpg

  • In February-ish Aston had his second real dentist appointment. Dr. Laxer looked him straight in the eyes and said "You are a Baby if you still use a paci". Since he turned three he's only had it for naps because if I took it away for nap, the nap would disappear. We came home after the appointment and went upstairs for nap. Aston walked in his room and handed me his paci and angrily said with tears pooling in his eyes "I don't want it anymore!" So from then on we had no pacis and no naps:( Not completely true...he has quiet time of some-sort every afternoon and during which he will fall asleep about 2x per week.
  • I've been running with the kids in the double stroller some lately, partlty because the weather's nice, but mostly because I can't do much else. Yoga and power hour are at a minimum with my shoulder and wrist problems. Aston loves to get out and run. We've been working on a jog so he doesn't burn himself out...but he ran like 1.5 miles the other day (stell got out for part too...they had many breaks of course:)...see below)...

20110421-DSC_0103.jpg  20110421-DSC_0106.jpg 20110421-DSC_0108.jpg 20110421-DSC_0109.jpg  20110421-DSC_0112.jpg

So I know i am missing a zillion bullet points but this post is already a mile long...you get 5 stars if you made it through this whole thing and are reading this last line!

High 5 buds...we are so very VERY proud of how far you've come in 2011! Loves + hugs...mom + dad

4 comments:

kate's corner said...

Oh YAY and Asto update! I love it all and have just skimmed the surface. More later but gut reactions...AWESOME collage and TK coverage in general. Good on the ma'am's too ;) how very polite. Whoa 1.5 miles that is far! So glad for the followup with school stuff. The letters are great and the Daddy story is the best. Whatever you say mommy! What? I need to hear that! Love yall's night stuff. I try to do that too (inspired by you!) but sometimes don't, mb's on that. Balance Bike! YAY! 6! Yes what's the deal with being old! Aston's always been so considerate like that/thinks of stuff like that re: shoulder thing. Never heard of either band, will look up one of these days. MJ likes to "play with me" what a great answer (vs. watch tv). This is a GREAT post Kate. ps like the title (you know one/two a year is OK!!)

kate's corner said...

ps meant Asto and change "said" in 2nd sentence under Gabe pic (mj missed that)

Tricia Williams said...

what an amazing kid! can't believe all of the tae kwon do stuff for a 3-year-old. and he seems to really be getting a lot out of it. did you make that collage yourself from scratch?? wow. and you're always awesome at the detailed updates. important stuff!

Emilia said...

yeah asty!!! um, letter writing is huge - the s and y are tricky ones to write so kudos to you mama. awesome tkd collage - such a great way to encapsulate his tk experience. and the leadership thing - i mean c'mon - that' gotta be a big deal - esp for a 3 year old?!?! impressed by the running - feel like he could run me to the ground at this point - we've missed ya in yoga - need to get that wrist healed up and the shoulder is still buggin' huh? nuts. can't wait to read about aston and golf. oh and the paci - i'm so sorry. boo on no naps but at least some sort of quiet time, right? love that sweet boy.